What happens when an employee’s competence is questioned?

For all matters relating to complaints you are advised to contact NZSTA in the first instance.

A number of employment agreements contain complaint processes.

Any person may make a complaint about a teacher's competence which should normally be directed to the teacher’s employer.

In some circumstances complaints may be made directly to the Teaching Council who must inform the employer of the complaint.

The Teaching Council may investigate the complaint or may refer the matter back to the teacher’s employer.

Read the relevant section of the Education Act – Legislation website

Reporting a concern – Teaching Council 

Updated: June 2017

Tell a colleague | Back to top